Curious as to how much money the UVic brass make?
The Vancouver Sun recently released its yearly public-sector salary database – check it out!
“Today, I had a perfectly reasonable request from a student who wanted to review an exam from last term. I was unable to comply with this request because to do so would be to give my employer more of my time for free. As a dedicated teacher, I am extremely sad about this, because I would like to give my students the very best learning experience that I possibly can.”
Read the rest of this timely and painfully truthful article by Andrew Robinson from Carleton University
Highlights of CUPE4163 Executive meeting Jan 20, 2015:
- CUPE4163 will acknowledge the First Nations Territory (UVic Stands on the traditional territories of the WSANEC and Songheese nations and this land was stolen through the ongoing process of colonization) at the beginning of meetings with members.
- Bargaining is continuing for Component Three and for Residence Life workers; and about to get underway to renew the collective agreement which expired Aug 31, 2014 for Component 1 and 2.
- Component 1 membership are actively gearing up to support their proposals at the bargaining table. Watch for posters and other actions designed to support bargaining.
- Some Component 3 Term Sessional Lecturers have experienced difficulty in accessing resources since the implementation to “OneCard”; currently being discussed with the Human Resources Director in hopes of finding a lasting solution.
- Component 1 Communications members are overhauling CUPE4163 facebook page;TA page is now inactive and all TAs and other members of all components are encouraged to “like” www.facebook.com/CUPE4163
- CUPE4163 will be moving to Mail Chimp for most membership communication.
- Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held March 26, 2015 Doors open 5:15 with meeting starting at 5:45. Location TBA . Matters: Election of Officers; Vote to be held on motion “CUPE4163 to endorse Divest UVic Campaign”; Social Justice Fund recipient; possible Trustee Bylaw change; Please mark your calendars and watch for more info in the coming weeks.
Component 1 members (Teaching Assistants, Lab Assistants and Instructors, Scientific Assistants, Computer programmers, Teaching Assistant Consultants and others) met Wednesday to put the final touches on proposals for bargaining. The Component 1/2 Collective Agreement expired August 31, 2014.
Component 1 members expressed extreme frustration with their working conditions, including:
- TA wages consistently below similar jobs at other universities;
- Wages not keeping up with Tuition increases;
- Component 1 positions and hours being slashed while class sizes continue to increase;
- Reduced opportunity for Grad Students to gain valuable teaching experience;
- Less time to spend with each Student which negatively impacts the Student’s educational experience
Components 1 & 2 will be going to the bargaining table with the University of Victoria in the very near future.
Component 1 members will be kept up to date on the issues at:
Facebook: CUPE4163 Education Members
Facebook: UVIC TAs (CUPE4163)
Attention Comp 1 members!
Come out to learn and vote on the proposals for changes to your contract in the upcoming bargaining.
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
Room C118 David Strong Building
A message from the folks at the Canadian Labour Congress
November 15th is election for municipalities and school boards. While CUPE 4163 has historically refrained from endorsing candidates, there is no denying the importance of municipal elections.
If members wish to support labour-friendly candidates in their municipalities, the BC Federation of Labour has a list of endorsed candidates.
The UVic Students’ Society has arranged for advance polls in the SUB on November 6 from 12 to 4. Check out their “UVic Votes” site for responses to questions on student issues from candidates running in different municipalities.